Trainers Artemis and Eric
My trainer friend, Artemis Scantalides, and I have been talking about updating her website photos for about a year and it finally happened a couple of weeks back. She and her business partner, Eric Gahan, are both personal trainers and they specialize in kettle bells training.
Behind the Scenes:
The studio in which they train “GStarfit” in Needham, MA is a pretty cool studio with all the accoutrements of the trade. Big olympic cages, straps, barbells,medicine balls, exercise balls, etc, etc and a good amount of windows all over the place.
From a photo shoot point of view, this basically translates into a lot of competing visual elements.
Since this was about showcasing Artemis and Eric, I decided to go with a black velvet background (black velvet is the best when you want to drop the background out because it swallows the light) and side lights. However, I hadn’t realized their uniforms were black and the kettle bells they use were also black.
This presented a lighting problem: Because I was working with people dressed in black using black props against a black backdrop, I needed to off set so much black by pointing spotlights at all of these elements to makes them stand out from the background.
So the set up is as follow:
- Two autopoles against the ceiling
- A crossbar and a custom-made black velvet backdrop.
- A strip softbox (14″ x 56″) to one side with a hair-light with a wide grid on it coming straight down from above and behind them.
- In the shot with the two of them, I had one spotlight right behind them pointing at them so I could get a nice rim-backlight effect.
- And finally, I had my assistant Timothy Dunn, hand hold another spot light and his job was to keep following the movement of the kettle bells as they executed training moves.
- 2 battery packs, a 2400 and a 1200 watt Elite packs, three to four lights depending on the shot.
- One camera- a D-3S, and two lenses: 70- 200mm and the 24-70mm both 2.8s.
- The ISO was 100, the setting for the camera was RAW + JPG.
- I was pretty satisfied with the results and so were my clients.