We took two very important points into consideration when designing this program - to:
- Avoid the weekend summer crowds at the nation’s capital, thus the Wednesday to Friday schedule.
- Maximize our time outside during the early morning and late-evening light hours, and to keep us inside during the mid-day light hours and heat of the day.
Day 1: DC – Washington Proper
On this first day, we will visit memorials and galleries in and around DC:
- We will begin the day at sunrise visiting the Lincoln, Viet Nam and Korean Memorials.
- Afternoon takes us to the National Gallery of Art where we will visit and have lunch at Pavilion Café, then move on to the National Portrait Gallery.
- Lastly, we will visit the Artechouse, which is best described by their own website as the nation’s first innovative art destination where art, science and technology come together.
- At dinner time, we will then travel to the Pentagon Mall where you can choose to eat dinner in the food court if you want to get a quick bite or at one of the local restaurants.
- We will regroup at sunset to photograph once more the Lincoln (Reflective Pond), Viet Nam and WWII memorials, which have their own unique and different photographic appeal at nighttime.
Day 2: Alexandria and the City
In the morning and afternoon, time will be spent at two of local photographers’ favorite locations.
- Early-morning we will enjoy all the wildlife offered by Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria from the walkway through vast wetlands bursting with life.
- Mid-morning, we will return to DC to photograph the Washington National Cathedral.
- Lunch time will find us at the National Mall where you’ll get to partake on the local custom of eating from a cornucopia of food trucks on the Mall.
- After lunch, you will have a couple of options:
- Have a leisurely lunch at a local restaurant or taste some of the offerings from one of the many food trucks in the mall.
- Spend time on your own to visit nearby destinations in the area such as the Holocaust Museum, Washington Monument and the many Smithsonian museums in the area, which are just a short walk from the area.
- Or you could accompany your program photo leaders and visit the Smithsonian National History Museum, one of Essdras’ favorite.
- In the late afternoon, we will regroup and take the bus to Alexandria’s beloved and historic Old Town. Here, in addition to doing some Street Photography with Essdras as well as photographing the architecture of this charming area, you can also grab a quick dinner.
- We will photograph the very colorful parks along the waterfront, which tend to be bustling with activity.
Day 3: The City and Chantilly
We will begin our day, once again in the city, then venture to the suburbs.
- Sunrise is the ideal time to photograph the Airforce Memorial, Arlington Cemetery and the Iwo Jima Memorial (Marine Memorial).
- Then, we will take a short bus ride to Theodore Roosevelt Island where we will find one of the most unique memorial monuments in the area. The island also is home to a myriad of birds, raptors and warblers
- At mid-day, we will take the bus to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center where we will have lunch and then we will explore the facility where hundreds of aviation and space artifacts are displayed including the famous spy plane SR-71 a.k.a. Black Bird, and even one of the space shuttle Discovery.
- We will finish the day with a relaxing visit to the Meadowlark Botanical Gardens.
- Lastly, will conclude our workshop with a Farewell Dinner in Old Town.
Included in Cost:
- Transportation in a 25-passenger coach from a centrally located meeting location in Old Town, Alexandria, VA and to and from all photography sites and return back to Old Town.
- Entry fees into all sites
- Bottles of water and snacks
- Farewell Dinner in Old Town
Not included in Cost:
- Flights, train, or any other means of transportation you will need in order to participate in the workshop
- Transportation to and from the designated meet-up location in Old Town, Alexandria, VA
- Lodging – Recommendations:
- Be in or near Old Town, Alexandria, VA (Old Town, Del Ray, Arlandria, Pentagon City, Crystal City, etc.).
- Arrive one day prior - August 10 - since we start bright and early the following day.
- Meals – except Farewell Dinner
- Additional costs incurred by participants – souvenirs, drinks, etc.