Cuba: A Photographer’s Delight/ Jan 12-19th, 2024
- Document daily life in this fantastic island nation
- Access to artisans and free enterprise
- Meet with photographers and artists to discuss their work and the important role art plays in the lives of Cubans
- Learn to improve the artistic and technical aspects of your photography
- Experience the new spirit of free enterprise while patronizing paladares in casas particulares.
- Visit dance studios and spend time talking to young dancers while delivering donations.
- Count on our EMS PA team consisting of one Pulitzer-Prize winning instructor, a local photographer as a secondary instructor, a certified official Cuban guide, and a driver who always stays with the bus ensuring the safety of your gear and belongings everywhere we go.
- Program Price: $5,320
- Save your spot: $ 200
- Initial Deposit: $1,235 due now
- Final Payment: $3,885 by Oct 3, 2023
- Single occupancy supplement: $279
- (Note: Your $200 deposit is non-refundable and can be used towards other EMS Photo Adventure workshops or products)
Join Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Essdras M Suarez, and Cuban photographer and instructor Joel Hernández Marín for an inspiring photographic journey into the heart of Cuba while learning to improve the artistic and technical aspects of your photography.
- Capture the architecture and daily life on the streets and in the historic squares in Old Havana. And, of course, photograph the ubiquitous and beautifully restored classic American cars, which are tenderly dubbed by Cubans as “almendrones” because of their big sensuous curves.
- Meet and interact with Cuban artists in their studios and enjoy performances by both traditional and Afro-Cuban dancers
- Visit Fusterlandia – the home of painter, and sculptor José Rodriguez Fuster – and delight at how he has decorated his neighborhood into what has described a fairyland of Gaudiesque mosaic art sprinkled with elements of Picasso and Jean Debuffet.
- Stroll El Callejón de Hamel where you will marvel at the environment created by painter, muralist, and sculptor Salvador Gonzales Escalona.
- Shoot side by side with a Cuban photographer and share photographic thoughts and perspectives
- Return briefly to the 1800s in the most delightful, warm and congenial city of Trinidad de Cuba
- Experience the new spirit of free enterprise as we patronize family- owned restaurants and stay in casas particulars (privately- owned accommodations).
As always, we’ll keep our eyes open for photographic opportunities as we get to know Cubans through our lenses and through our exchanges.
- 8 days/ 7 nights of accommodations
- Customary gratuities throughout the program
- Included 20 meals
- On your own: 1 Lunch and 2 Dinners
- Ground Transportation
- Lodging in Casa Particulars (Privately Owned Accommodations)
Note: Full itinerary and details available upon booking.
Testimonial: “This was one of the best travel experiences I’ve ever had. Our leader Essdras was outstanding and was able to provide an insight into the Cuban culture that was unique and fascinating. If you take this trip, expect to be shoved out of your comfort zone, in a very good way. Easily the best group leader I’ve ever traveled with, including those from National Geographic and Smithsonian. In addition, a wonderful photography teacher.” … Ann
SPECIAL NOTE: Our programs are organized through Education Travel Alliance, a company that has been licensed by the US DOT OFAC, Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). It is through agents like ETA that OFAC authorizes registered guests of our programs to legally travel to Cuba to participate and engage in a full-time schedule of authorized exchange and activities while in Cuba. These meaningful interactions between travelers and people are, by design, in support of the Cuban people.