Crafting Your Photographic Vision: A Journey through Street Photography and Beyond virtual workshop Oct 11-13th, 2024
Welcome to our virtual class offering, which consists of 5-6 hours of academic classroom instruction, plus a group review lasting one to one and a half hours of photos made as part of your class assignments. As a bonus, you’ll get a one- hour one-on-one portfolio review session with me.
Here's what you can look forward to:
"You’ll participate in 5-6 hours of group classes and photo reviews, including a group review of the photos you've made for your assignments.
The portfolio review can be best described as a personalized analysis of your current position as a photographer. You’ll receive an honest assessment of what you are doing well, along with tips and techniques for areas you could be improving to enhance your photography and help develop your unique vision.
During these virtual classes, we'll delve into the heart of photo making, exploring critical aspects like composition, storytelling, and capturing decisive moments. We'll dissect the psychology behind techniques such as the Rule of Thirds, layered compositions, points of entry and escape, and much more. I'll equip you with practical techniques to position yourself for the perfect shot, while you have the freedom to ask anything about photography as many times as you like.
- After this class, you will:
- Have a better understanding of the Psychology of Photography: Gain insights into why certain photos are considered superior to others.
- Comprehend Visual Anchors: Appreciate the importance of visual anchors and their impact on composition.
- Understand Points of Escape: Learn what "points of escape" are and how to avoid them, as they can detract from your composition.
- Create Impactful Layered Compositions: Gain a better understanding of why layering helps create more compelling photographs.
- Crop Effectively: Develop a sense of why and when to crop and re-crop your images.
- Crop for content and not for proportions. Understand why adhering to rules of cropping does not always apply.
- Sharpen Digital Photography: Understand why sharpening is crucial in digital photography.
- Adjust Levels or Curves with Precision: Improve your sense of how and when to adjust levels or curves, and when to stop.
- Master Continuous Reassessment: Grasp the concept of ongoing evaluation when photographing a scene and its subjects.
- Understand the Need to Dodge and Burn: Learn the psychology behind the need to alter too-bright or too-dark areas, rather than the technical process.
- Enhance Your Photo- Selection Skills: Understand how to choose and assess photos for editing.
- Know When to Stop Editing: Gain a better sense of when to cease editing and understand why.
This class offers a unique approach, focusing on the underlying principles that guide photography decisions, rather than solely on technical execution. You'll come away with a well-rounded, common-sense understanding of how to create more impactful images. This class is not so much about the technical aspects, but about nurturing your vision and learning how to best express your artistry.
* What: Between 5 to 7 hours of virtual classes +
one (1) one-hour one-to-one portfolio/photo review
* When: Oct. 11- 13, 2023
9 to 11.30 AM US EST
* Where: The comfort of your own ‘_____’
* Cost: $425