Exploring NOLA/ April 18-20th, 2024
Learn to improve the artistic and technical aspects of your photography while exploring the fantastic and one-of-a-kind City of New Orleans. We’ll have an opportunity to photograph a variety of areas and genres including Still-life Photography, Street Photography, Architecture Photography, Travel and Portrait Photography.
BONUS: After the workshop, Essdras M Suarez will offer a group review and discussion of participant- submitted photos
Date: May 9-11, 2023
Participants: Min 8 – Max 14
Workshop Cost: $1,360
Deposit/Save your spot of $500
(This is a non-refundable but fully transferable within 365 days of program date to any other program or service offered by EMS PA)
Final Payment Deadline of $860 May 1st, 2023
(In order to make this workshop happen even with a few participants, there’s a possibility that a to-be-disclosed premium might be requested of participants if we don’t get the minimum number of 6 people.)
This workshop, led by 2X Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Essdras M Suarez, has been designed with you, the photographer, in mind. We will explore many different genres of photography including Street Photography, Travel Photography, Portrait Photography, Nighttime Photography and so much more. The idea of this workshop is to help you:
- Learn how to best document a place and its people. Be it through serendipitous candid street photos or through portraits.
- Capture the essence and spirit of place and history through your photography.
- To show you how to improve your Street, Documentary and Travel photography in order to help you take your photography to the next level.
This workshop has taken the following points into account when designed:
- To avoid the weekend crowds in New Orleans, thus the Wednesday to Friday schedule.
- This city was chosen because of how small and walkable most attractions are to each other with the exception of one out-of-town activity, which is a visit to Oak Alley Plantation.
- You don’t need to own sophisticated camera gear to participate. A lot of mobile photography tips will be taught throughout the duration of the workshop.
Overview: Day 1 Morning:
- We’ll start at Jackson Square with its famous Cafe du Monde and its world class buskers.
- A short walk from there will allow us to explore the French Quarter with its unique architecture and European ambiance.
- In the afternoon we will walk along the Mississppi River as we document the type of characters and ambiance that inspired Mark Twain stories.
- Surprise activity.
- We once more will meet at Jackson Square and from there, we’ll walk to the famous St. Louis Cemetery on the outskirts of the French Quarters.
- On the way back we will once more spend time documenting a bit more of the French Quarter.
- In the afternoon, we’ll gather at a pre-determined location to board a shuttle that will take us on our private Oak Alley Plantation tour. (duration 3 hours)
- On this day we’ll start early as we make our way to Louis Armstrong Park where we’ll photograph the iconic Spanish Moss covered cypresses as the early sun rays paint this luscious landscape in warm hues of yellow and orange.
- After that, we’ll photograph NOLA’s famous trolleys and then we’ll board the St Charles Street carline that travels through the fabled Garden District.
- Our farewell dinner we’ll be on board of the Natchez steamboat.
BONUS: Group photo review Zoom meeting A month after the workshop, a Zoom meeting will be scheduled where Essdras will review photos sent by participants – this can usually be done anonymously or people can choose to divulge ownership of the photos being presented. Sharing your photos and seeing how each one of you has their own unique perspective and point of view on the same subjects along with commentary and feedback from Essdras will make this an unforgettable learning experience. Included
- Three packed days of on-location instruction and guidance by Essdras M Suarez.
- Tour of Oak Alley Plantation
- Charles Street trolley tickets
- Farewell dinner on a river boat
- Three-day Jazzy Pass for the rail car
Not Included Transportation to/from/ to New Orleans: flights, train, or any other means of transportation you will need to participate in the workshop. Meals and lodging are not included. Any additional costs incurred by participants – souvenirs, drinks, etc. Lodging and other recommendations:
- We suggest you arrive at least a day prior to May , 9th since we will get started bright and early the following day.